Canal del Palomo via ferrata (Vadiello, Sierra de Guara)
from 45 € / p. from 2 to 6 personsInfos & Booking
Located in the heart of the Sierra de Guara, the Vadiello via ferrata is a piece of history whose first ascent dates back to 1954. At that time there was almost no equipment to climb the dry canyon of the "Canal del Palomo". Fortunately, in 1990 and again in 2008, the route was completely re-equipped with a life line and some "clavijas" (steel rods nailed into the rock) were added to facilitate the climb.
This ascent allows you to discover a very sculpted mineral universe with tuff waterfalls, as well as basins with a little water where a very rare species of Pyrenean newt is present. You evolve in a long vertical chimney with rounded forms and dug in the wall. You have to cross some nice passages in balance and in opposition, some rather difficult steps, some vertical sections and some overhangs.
After having overcome a first big rock, you arrive very quickly at the entrance of the chimney which sinks in the darkness of the rock. It is impressive: it is almost closed to the light and contains some water basins formed by the erosion. The nails are sometimes well spaced and you have to use supports on the walls to climb. Some pitches are very vertical, even slightly overhanging. After an hour in the shade and humidity you find the sun again, at the foot of a huge and majestic cliff.
The return trip is as spectacular as the ascent of the chimney! You make a big crossing on the side of the wall, without difficulty, which leaves time to observe the surrounding canyons and maybe even a colony of griffon vultures. At the end of this traverse, a well-equipped path takes you back to the parking lot.
- Price per person: 50€.
- Reduced rate for groups of 5 people or more: 45€.
- Meeting point at the Vadiello dam.
- 5 minutes walk to reach the start of the via.
- From 2.5 to 3 hours of activity to climb the via ferrata.
- 20 minutes walk back to get back to the parking.
The price includes
- Supervision by the climbing instructor.
- Equipment necessary to practice the activity (helmet, harness, via ferrata lanyards with energy absorber, etc.).
The price does not include
- Transport to and from the meeting point in Vadiello.
- Anything not mentioned in "The price includes".
No scheduled departure, but you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking