Ski touring in Albania: Valbona Valley and Mount Korab
from 2 to 7 personsInfos & Booking
Go for an unforgettable trip, combining ski touring and discovering a country, a people, a history. Traveling to Albania is diving into the history of Central Europe, meeting another way of life, far from what we know. It is also enjoying the slopes (mountain represent more than 70% of Albania), forests, peaks ... The pleasure of skiing in the deserts that provides this beautiful country is intense!
Located in the Balkans, it is one of the few places in Europe where it is still possible to trace, to feel this feeling of adventure, far from the big cities that bring the impression of security by their proximity. Over the days, depending on weather and snow conditions, we will explore the summits and valleys located on both sides of the village of Valbona. In the evening we will stay with the locals, whose generous hospitality is recognized and appreciated by visitors. If you prefer, we can stay in a lodge.
- Reception at Pristina airport (Kosovo)
- Transfer by private vehicle to Valbona after customs formalities. We will have 4 hours of travel. We will benefit from the historical discovery of the places crossed.
- Overnight in a lodge or a homestay depending on the size of the group.
- To start this beautiful holiday, we will go skiing in Rrogami area.
- This first day begins at the bottom of the valley. We slide along the frozen river, then we cross the forest to reach the unobstructed parts and we go up, we go up ... and then down in a slope of virgin powder!
- First climb to get an idea of the potential of the valley: slopes everywhere, long and beautiful. Very varied exposures offer the possibility of playing with the quality of the snow by going where it is good. These are often the passes that are targeted, because the peaks are sharp and not very good for ski.
- Ski in the white circus and passage to the hamlet of Kukaj for a timeless parenthesis with its inhabitants who still live almost in autarky.
- A day that offers us a beautiful descent into a spring style snow because of the south exposure. It's steep, but not too much, just enough to slide from the pass to the forest. Sometimes we meet the inhabitants of the hamlet. Meeting totally different cultures. This is the richness of this trip!
- Change of sector and other types of slopes: Gryat and Hapura will be on the menu of the day! Two beautiful peaks accessible after a beautiful day of skiing. It's real ski touring! Sometimes, it will be necessary to use the crampons for steep sections or for the last meters on the edge. From the summit a 360° panorama is offered to brave skiers!
- Then it's the grail: a descent to reach the hamlet there in the valley ...
- Transfer to Tejza, at the foot of Mount Korab, the highest point of Albania and Macedonia. A road through Kosovo again, which offers us to visit some important places before returning to the mountains and the small hamlet at the end of the snowy trail. There is not much in these villages, and yet everywhere the wifi opens the doors of the world!
- For this penultimate day, we will go Mount Korab back and forth by its normal route or by descending the north face depending on the level of the group. A beautiful, beautiful, beautiful outing: we start ski in front of the bar-hotel, then cross a pine forest (great to ski downhill!), and white slopes to the pass. From there, the ridge becomes thiner, sometimes icy, to reach the summit! A look around you is a dive into history: Macedonia on the one hand, Albania on the other and Kosovo, a recent country built from scratch ... A day of great skiing!
- After a few last curves in the morning, transfer to Pristina in the afternoon
- Evening and night on site. Moments of celebration and sharing!
- Return flight to France
The price includes
- Supervision by the mountain guide
- Accompaniment by a local guide
- Homestay or lodging (8 nights)
- Full board
- Loan of safety equipment (transceiver, shovel, probe)
- Road transport on site
The price does not include
- Transport to /from meeting point
- Personal expenses
- Eventual visits
- Homestay or lodge for the ski part
- Hotel (shared room) at the beginning and the end
No scheduled departure, bu you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking