Roche à l'Agathe via ferrata in Thônes (Haute-Savoie)
from 65 € / p. from 1 to 10 personsInfos & Booking
The via ferrata of Thônes in the Aravis massif perfectly illustrates the style of the "French via ferrata ": close to the inhabited places, vertiginous, well equipped and secured.
To start the course, you have to cross a cable bridge suspended at about 50 meters high. This is what will put you immediately in the vertiginous atmosphere of this via ferrata.
The route is divided into three parts:
- The first part (the longest) is the easiest. You will slowly gain height while crossing some more athletic passages from time to time. It offers a series of crossings, slabs and ramps that are quite steep, even slightly overhanging, and always to the left. The atmosphere is already vertiginous and it is possible to take an escape route if you don't want to continue with the next part.
- In the second part, which is more physical, you have to use your arms to climb the overhanging, impressive and vertiginous slopes until you reach a ledge where you have to choose your exit option.
- In the exit (for those who wish) it is possible to climb the very pronounced and difficult final "Hermit's overhang" using the bars and natural holds. However, you can choose to bypass the difficulty, by going through the "Ladder of the Sappers of the Empire" less physical but just as vertiginous because climbed in front of the void for a maximum of strong sensations and a panoramic view. The very end is easier, with fewer bars and more contact with the well sculpted limestone rock, and always a magnificent view of the surrounding mountains.
If you want to go to another nice via ferrata in the region, I recommend you the one of the Roc de Cornillon which dominates the Bourget lake.
- Meeting point in Thônes, 30 minutes drive from Annecy.
- 5 minutes walk to reach the start of the via.
- About 3 hours to climb the via ferrata.
- 20 minutes walk back to the parking.
- Positive difference in altitude: 255 meters.
The price includes
- Supervision by the climbing instructor.
- Equipment necessary to practice the activity: helmet, harness, via ferrata lanyards with shock absorber, climbing quickdraws, rope, etc.
The price does not include
- Transport to and from Thônes.
- Anything not mentioned in "The price includes".
No scheduled departure, but you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking