Hikes in the footsteps of the first transhumants (Vercors)
from 710 € / p. from 2 to 8 personsInfos & Booking
I propose here a playful approach to prehistory throughout hikes of medium difficulty, roaming between the Drômois Vercors and the Haut Diois.
In the Vercors massif, the Diois and the Haut Diois, marks bearing witness to a past presence are omnipresent. Surprising and enigmatic, these vestiges will lead you to better understand the way of life of our ancestors, their way of occupying the space 4000 years before us and the landscapes in which we evolve today.
This glance at the past will lead you to hike through exceptional landscapes, a transition between the Alps and Provence, and to approach prehistory through the following themes:
- The art of hunting. In the footsteps of the hunters, you will discover the hunting halts on the High Plateaux.
- The beginnings of sedentarisation and agro-pastoralism. Discovery of sheepfold caves and burial caves, and observation of rock engravings.
- The beginnings of industrialisation through flintknapping workshops.
D1: Welcome, presentation and installation in a hotel in the Diois where we will stay for the first three nights.
D2: Visit of the flint workshops of the Vassieux plain.
Approach to the flintknapping industry. Visit of the prehistory museum and easy hike.
D3: Hike in the Diois massif.
You will discover the Solaure plateau overhanging the Drôme valley and Neolithic habitats. You will discover a sheepfold cave and a funerary cave on this easy hiking trail.
D4: Hike on the high plateaus of the Vercors massif.
After a transfer to the second accommodation in a group lodge in the Haut Diois, we will go for a hike to the paradise of ibexes and griffon vultures. We will discuss the geological setting of the Vercors, the impact of the glaciations, the karst and the prehistoric hunting stopover sites.
D5: Hike to Mont Barral and the site of Giboui.
Meeting of herds in summer pastures depending on the season. Transfer by vehicle to the last accommodation for one night in Lus-la-Croix-Haute.
D6: Climb up to the summer pastures of the Pare mountain and its magnificent view.
Visit of the decorated cave of the Tune de la Varaime, a place lost in the mountain at 1450m altitude with more than 2000 rock engravings on the walls. It is a classified site which was also used as a sheepfold cave. End of the stay around 5pm. Possibility of an extra night in the same accommodation (50€ supplement).
D7: End of the stay after breakfast around 9.30am. Return to your vehicles or to the train station.
The price includes
- Full board accommodation.
- Supervision by the mountain leader.
- Visit of the sites.
The price does not include
- Drinks not included.
- Cancellation insurance.
- Return transfer to and from Die train station (contact me).
- Extra night possible (50 €).
- Single room supplement possible for the first three nights (60 €).
- Three successive accommodations in a hotel or group lodge.
- To be confirmed
- To be confirmed