Echelles de la mort via ferrata in Charquemont (Doubs)
Duration : ½ day
Level : for all, from 12 years old
from 45 € / p. from 4 to 10 personsInfos & Booking
Join me for this magnificent and spectacular via ferrata of the "Echelles de la Mort" (ladders of death) in Charquemont, in the Doubs department!
This 500 meters long via ferrata with a 100 meters positive difference in altitude takes place on the French-Swiss border, in the grandiose and vertiginous setting of the Doubs gorges which for a long time sheltered the smuggling activities between these two countries. Very playful and vertiginous with ladders, footbridges, a zip line, cable and Nepalese bridges, it is certainly one of the most beautiful and impressive via ferrata of the region.
After a few minutes of walking on a path, the course begins in the beautiful vertical limestone cliff by a first ladder soon followed by a Nepalese bridge, a beam and a slightly overhanging dihedral. This is the most physical part of the route, and it precedes the first escape route that leads to the Cendrée lookout. The next section offers a short, slightly overhanging passage, then a Tibetan bridge made of logs and a 42-meter-long "3-strand" cable bridge, both of which test your balance. The itinerary continues across a ledge (second possible escape route), takes a descending ladder, crosses a new cable bridge ("2 strands" this time), then goes up vertically by exploiting the weaknesses of the wall. The ladder and the beam that follow announce the long 60 meter zip line that can be avoided via the third escape route (but that would be a shame!). A last beam and a steep and original rope ladder bring you to the end of the via ferrata. A safe path follows the cliff, passes by the belvedere where you can still admire the superb landscapes, then follows the route of the smugglers of yesteryear before bringing you back to the parking lot.
Bring hiking shoes and a bottle of water.
- Meeting point in Charquemont (exact location communicated at registration), about an hour and a quarter drive from Besançon.
- 10 minutes of approach walking to the start of the via.
- Approximately 2 hours to complete the via ferrata.
- 15 minutes of return walking to the parking lot.
The price includes
- Supervision by the climbing instructor.
- Technical equipment necessary for the practice of the activity: harness, helmet, pulley, via ferrata lanyard with energy absorber.
The price does not include
- Transport to/from the meeting place in Charquemont.
- Shoes and adapted clothes.
- Water bottle.
- Anything not mentioned in "The price includes".
No scheduled departure, but you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking