The Southern wild loop of Reunion Island by hiking
Duration : 2 days
Africa, Réunion Island
Level : accessible
from 260 € / p. from 1 to 12 personsInfos & Booking
Go on a short and accessible trek in the south of Reunion Island and at the foot of the Piton de la Fournaise volcano. You will cover a distance of 13 kilometres between sea level and 700 meters of altitude, for a total positive altitude difference of 600 meters.
I propose you, in the surroundings of Saint-Philippe, a family loop through the superb forests and cultures of low altitude of the wild south of Reunion. You will enjoy a night in an authentic lodge in the heart of Creole traditions. In short, this is a trek combining hiking, botany and gastronomy!
Pick up and drop off is at Le Baril, Saint-Philippe.
If I am unavailable, a colleague from the Bureau Montagne Réunion Trek will take care of the supervision.
I also propose a hiking loop in the north of Reunion Island to discover other sumptuous landscapes.
D1: Le Baril - Basse Vallée.
You start the trek with a steady and shady climb on the GRR2, through the forest of Basse Vallée: vanilla crops and tropical fruits mingle with endemic trees. We spend the night in a charming and authentic lodge in Basse Vallée, where the owner, a well-known figure on the island, introduces you to his wild garden and palm plantations. This is followed by a tasty meal prepared with the resources of the property!
Duration: 4 hours, distance: 4km, positive altitude difference: 500 meters.
D2: Basse Vallée - Mare Longue.
After breakfast, you join the camphor tree road, a flat forest road through these majestic trees. Then you descend through the Mare Longue Conservation Aera, the only remnant of primary lowland rainforest on the island, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. After a meal, we will visit the superb Jardin des Parfums et des Épices, a jewel in the crown of Reunion's cultivated species heritage.
Return to the cars by city bus (3 km, 10 min).
Duration: 6 hours, distance: 9km, D+: 100m, D-: 600m.
The price includes
- Supervision by the mountain leader.
- Accommodation in ½ board (night + evening meal and breakfasts), in gites or huts, in small dormitories.
- Transfers mentioned in the programme.
- Garden's fees.
- Price calculated on a minimum number of 4 participants, guidance in French.
- Special requests (small groups, large groups, foreign languages): please contact me.
- For groups that have already been formed, the rates are degressive according to the number of participants.
The price does not include
- Picnic lunches (available as an option). I will advise you of the best ways to have lunch.
- Transfers other than those mentioned in the program.
- Drinks other than those provided at meals.
- Personal equipment.
- Personal expenses.
- Insurance and assistance (optional).
- Anything not mentioned in "The price includes".
- Mountain lodge.
No scheduled departure, but you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking