Nar Phu Valley Trek: Tilicho Lake and Mesokundo Pass
from 1590 € / p. from 4 to 12 personsInfos & Booking
The Nar Phu Valley and Tilicho Lake trek in the Annapurna region is ideal for hikers who have time and inclination to venture into some of the most remote areas of Nepal, beyond usual hiking routes.
Nar and Phu are two beautiful little villages located in the one that is also called Hidden Valley. This less popular trail of the Mesokunda Pass offers a more stimulating and exciting alternative to the famous Thorung La Pass on the classic Annapurna tour trail. The Nar Phu Valley and Tilicho Lake provide an opportunity to explore Nepal's wild and unknown areas. The hiking trail then leads to the village of Nar, which offers an extraordinary view of the Pisang Peak (6091m).
The trek also requires crossing the difficult passes of Kang-La (5322m) and Mesokanto-La (5200m). The path then joins the beautiful village of Manang before reaching the turquoise lake of Tilicho, the highest lake in the world. The trek ends then in the city of Jomsom.
This trek route takes you to the most remote and unspoiled areas of the Annapurna region.
Arrival and reception at the airport and then transfer to your hotel.
D2: free day and preparation of administrative formalities.
Early departure for Besishahar and Ngadi (Gurung village) where the trek begins. The road is long but very beautiful, surrounded by green hills and rice terraces. About 7h drive, night in lodge.
Beginning of the trek. Steep climb to the magnificent Bahundanda lookout, then descent to Syange through rice fields and forests. Crossing the large suspension bridge of Syaje and many small villages. End of the stage in Jagat, village built along a ridge. About 6 hours of walking, night in lodge at 1310m.
Ascending elevation: 850m
Descending elevation: 450m
Walk in the heart of the Marsyandi Gorge: the path is easy with alternating large climbs and small descents. Vegetation change. The trail leading to Tal is wide and comfortable. This small village is wedged under huge cliffs for thousands of years. Finally, direction Dharapani. About 6 hours of walking, overnight lodge 1930m.
The valley becomes very steep. The day begins with a steep climb from Danagyu to Timang. The Annapurna II appears above the path and you can admire it, as well as Manaslu in Koto. About 5 hours of walking, night in lodge at 2640m.
You enter the Nar Phu Valley and go up to Meta through the forest (bamboos, anemones) and the deep wild gorges of the Nar Khola (khola = river) that you cross several times. Discovery of the high valleys of Nar and Phu, recently opened to tourism. About 6 hours of walking, night in lodge at 3500m.
D +: 1300m
D8: Meta-Phu Gaun.
You visit the village of Phu and its monastery Tashi La Kang. About 7 hours of walking, night in lodge at 4080m.
D +: 400m
D9: Phu Gaun-Mahendrapul.
Go down the same road to reach the confluence of Phu Khola and Labse Khola. Camp by the river. About 6 hours of walking and overnight under tent at 3490m.
Exceptional views on Pisang Peak and Kang Guru. Imposing mani walls and a large prayer wheel mark the entrance to the villages. Then a long climb takes you to the village of Nar and its alignment of stone chortens. About 4 hours of walking, night in lodge at 4246m.
D11: Nar-Kangla Phedi.
You climb, without difficulty, through the pastures of yaks, the base camp of Kang La, the pass you will cross the next day. Lunch and overnight in tent at base camp. Afternoon is spent resting to ensure good acclimatization for the future. About 3 hours of walking, night under tent at 4634m.
D12: Kangla Phedi-Kangla Pass-Ngwal.
Very early start and climb sometimes steep and difficult to reach the Kang-La (5310m). Pass near a small lake before arriving at the pass. The view on Kang Guru is breathtaking. The pass offers a magnificent panorama of all the summits of the Annapurna Massif. A long descent takes you to the village of Ngawal. About 8 hours of walking, night in lodge at 3640m.
Cool day between the two passes. Very nice walk on a path in balcony. Crossing the villages of Julu, Munji and Braga. About 3 hours of walking, night in lodge at 3500m.
D14: Manang-Shree Kharka.
Easy walk up the Marsyangdi to the village of Khangsar towards Tilicho. You leave the classic Annapurna trail. The path becomes a little steeper until Teregompa. About 4 hours of walking, night in lodge at 4000m.
D15: Shree Kharka-Tilicho Base Camp.
You climb to Tilicho Base Camp. The climb is a bit steep at first and then regular. Beautiful view of the valley of Khangsar, Manaslu (8163m), Annapurna I (8091m), Tarkekang (7202m) and Kangsarkang (7485m). The descent is made in a steep scree on which you can feel the sensations of skiing. About 4 hours of walking, night in lodge at 4100m.
D16: Base camp Tilicho-Tilicho Lake.
In a colorful landscape, dressed in crystalline rocks and glaciers, you climb to the promontory (5024m) of Tilicho Tal (tal = lake). Then a small descent takes you to camp on the lake (4921m) at the foot of the Great Barrier. View of the Tilicho Peak (7134m). You can admire the turquoise water of Tilicho Lake which is nevertheless frozen most of the year. About 3h30 walk, night under tent at 4921m.
D17: Lake Tilicho-Yak Kharka.
Very early departure for a long day that will make you pass 3 passes at over 5000m altitude to avoid porters a cold night. After a steep climb to the 1st pass, Eastern La (5379m), you cross a large plateau to the north end of the lake or you cross the 2nd pass, Northern La (5273m), easier. About 8 hours of walking, night under tent at 4000m.
D18: Yak Kharka-Jomsom.
3 short hours of descent to reach Kaligandaki up to Jomsom via Thinigaun. View of the Nilgiri North Massif. About 4 hours of walking, night in lodge at 2700m.
Flight to Pokhara according to climatic and operational hazards. About 25 minutes flight, overnight at the hotel in Pokhara.
About 7 hours drive by tourist bus.
The price includes
- Airport / hotel / airport transfers
- Kathmandu / Ngadi trip in private bus from 6 persons, else in local bus
- Jomsom / Pokhara flight for you and for the guide
- Hotel in Pokhara including breakfast
- Pokhara / Kathmandu trip in private bus
- Jomsom / Kathmandu trip by bus for the porters
- Insurance for the whole Nepalese team
- 16 trekking days full board in lodge, every meal with tea or coffee and on the 18th day, lunch during the trip Pokhara / Kathmandu is included (except drinks)
- License for conservation of Annapurnas (ACAP)
- TIMS card (Trekking Information Management Service)
- Special permit for Nar Phu area
- Supervision by the experienced French-speaking guide
- On assistant guide from 4 persons
- 1 porter for 2 participants (in accordance with the regulations of the Union of Nepalese Porters, a porter carrying a maximum of 30kg, you will have to hire an additional porter if your luggage exceeds 15kg)
The price does not include
- Meals in Kathmandu
- Hotel in Kathmandu
- Meals in Pokhara
- International flight
- Personal equipment (sleeping bag, hiking poles, water bottle, backpack, sunglasses, sunscreen)
- Personal insurance (mandatory: check that your insurance covers you in case of accident, ie all medical expenses, the cost of a helicopter evacuation and repatriation to return home)
- Single room extra in Pokhara and lodges
- Entry visa to Nepal (check that your passport is valid for another 6 months after your return date)
- Transportation for visits in Kathmandu
- Fees in the city (museum, monument, monastery etc.)
- Hir water in lodges
- Batteries reloading in lodges
- International bank transfer fees
- Costs caused by exceptional events (road cut, landslide, general strike, bad weather, snow .....) that can not be expected
Any trip interrupted or abridged, any change of program at the request of the participants (accident, illness, mountain sickness, early return, trek abbreviated ....) can not give rise to any refund.
- Lodge and tent during the trek
No scheduled departure, bu you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking