Gorges du Haut Cher via ferrata (Lignerolles, Allier)
Duration : ½ day
France, Massif Central
Level : Somewhat difficult
from 25 € / p. from 2 to 12 personsInfos & Booking
The via ferrata of the gorges of the Haut Cher in Lignerolles in the Allier offers an initiation course, ideal for the discovery of the activity, for a family outing or for groups. By the way, a part of the route is accessible to children from 6 years old, and the totality is accessible from 8 years old.
A few kilometers from Montluçon, this course offers beautiful views of the Cher river, whose banks are perfect for a picnic after your adventure!
After a short approach walk along the beautiful sides of the river, you arrive at the departure of the via ferrata. The route starts by climbing up a vertical pillar of about ten meters, then crosses to the left to a beautiful compact rock and continues up in a crack-dihedral. A vertiginous passage over overhangs leads you to the first footbridge, 7 meters long, which crosses a steep corridor. At this point, an escape route is possible towards the descent path.
From there, a vertical wall gives access to a narrow crack that you have to cross to the right and then to a steep and compact pillar (about ten meters high) that leads to the top of a rocky tower. A 5 meters vertiginous descent on the other side of the tower leads to the second footbridge, 15 meters long, and then to the last vertical passage of the via ferrata before a final cabled section which allows to find the trail and the way back to the parking lot.
Note: the via ferrata of the gorges of Haut Cher is systematically closed in winter because of the presence of snow. The cables are removed on a part of the route because of avalanches.
If you are looking for other vertical adventures, I also recommend the very beautiful via ferrata of Le Capucin in Le Mont-Dore a little further south.
- Meeting point at Lignerolles in the Allier department, 15 minutes drive from Montluçon and 1 hour and 20 minutes from Clermont-Ferrand.
- Approach walk of about 10 minutes to reach the start of the via ferrata.
- Duration of the course: about one hour.
- Introduction to abseiling for those who wish to do so.
- Return walk of 10 minutes to reach the start of the via and 10 more minutes of hiking to reach the parking lot.
The price includes
- Supervision by the climbing instructor.
- All the technical equipment necessary to practice the activity is provided: helmet, harness and via ferrata lanyard with energy absorber.
The price does not include
- Transport to/from the meeting place.
- Anything not mentioned in "The price includes".
No scheduled departure, but you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking