Hiking to discover the high Mafate
Duration : 2 days
Africa, Réunion Island
Level : intermediate
from 250 € / p. from 1 to 12 personsInfos & Booking
Go for the most accessible short trek in the Mafate cirque. On the programme: the Col des Bœufs, Marla and La Nouvelle, for a 14.5 kilometre hike between 1400 and 2000 meters of altitude, with a total positive difference in altitude of 950 meters.
It is a fabulous initiation to the cirque of Mafate that I propose here. After having gone up the whole cirque of Salazie and its luxuriant vegetation to reach the car park, you will quickly discover the breathtaking view on our adventure ground.
You will be picked up at the Col des Bœufs car park, or at other locations on request. Vehicle storage in the car park is available on request (optional).
If I am unavailable, a colleague from the Bureau Montagne Réunion Trek will take care of the supervision.
Still in this beautiful cirque, I also propose four other treks:
- the loop of the high Mafate,
- the crossing of Mafate,
- the tour of the low Mafate's islets,
- and the discovery of the low Mafate.
D1: Col des Bœufs - Marla.
From the Col des Bœufs car park, at the top of the Salazie cirque, you quickly move into the Mafate cirque. A quick descent takes you to the magnificent Tamarind plain along the GRR3. After a break in the shade of its trees, you continue the descent towards the Galets river, to enjoy its fresh water. The trail then climbs back up to the islet of Marla, the highest islet of Mafate, where we will spend the night in a gîte.
Duration: 5 hours, distance: 7km, positive altitude difference: 250 meters, negative altitude difference: 500 meters.
D2: Marla - La Nouvelle - Col des Bœufs.
After breakfast, you descend down the Galets river to the magnificent site of Trois Roches and its plunging view of the waterfall. You then go back up to the Plaine aux Sables, before reaching La Nouvelle, the largest islet in Mafate, for a meal. We finish our tour by joining the Col des Bœufs by the GRR1.
Duration: 6 hours, distance: 10.5km, D+: 700m, D-: 450m.
The price includes
- Supervision by the mountain leader.
- Accommodation in ½ board (night + evening meal and breakfasts), in gites or huts, in small dormitories.
- Transfers mentioned in the programme.
- Price calculated on a minimum number of 4 participants, guidance in French.
- Special requests (small groups, large groups, foreign languages): please contact me.
- For groups that have already been formed, the rates are degressive according to the number of participants.
The price does not include
- Vehicle transfers before pick-up and after drop-off.
- Drinks other than those provided at meals.
- Personal equipment.
- Personal expenses.
- Insurance and assistance (optional).
- Anything not mentioned in "The price includes".
- Mountain lodge.