Zermatt-Chamonix ski touring: the Haute Route reinvented
from 645 € / p. from 2 to 4 personsInfos & Booking
The Haute Route, historical and mythical route linking the two capitals of mountaineering, Chamonix and Zermatt, is very traveled. Its legitimacy is easily justified by the variety and the beauty of the environment, by this route which makes live the wealth of the roaming, with its lot of uncertainties, discoveries and surprises! Every day lives in the present, and every day is immensely rich.
And like all that is successful, the attendance goes hand in hand and sometimes the magic of the mountain fades against that.
Zermatt-Chamonix is the ideal way to go on this exceptional route that every skier dreams of achieving at least once in his life, with the following advantages:
- the tranquility during the climbs, the pleasure of the descents in front of the climbing groups, and the majority of the refuges more peaceful.
- to be able to benefit from the "logical" direction of the mountain: the east climbs to enjoy the morning sun, and the west descents for a better quality snow.
- Once in Chamonix, no need to come back by taxi or train: you are ready to go back home!
D1: Meeting in Chamonix at 7.30am to reach Zermatt by train. A trip longer than with a taxi but which has a lesser impact on our environment. After traversing Zermatt by walking, we take the ski lifts that drop us at the foot of the Matterhorn. From there a descent allows us to gain the flat kilometers before the climb to the Schönbiel hut where we spend our first evening in a breathtaking setting.
D2: Early departure to reach the Stöckli Glacier, and climb it. A path between crevasses and under the majestic peaks overlooking us! Arrived at the Tête de Valpelinne, we dive into a beautiful descent to the foot of Mount Brûlé, where we climb to the same name pass. From here a steep descent makes it possible to reach the high glacier of Arolla and by Collon Pass, to find the evening stop, the Italian refuge of Nacamulli.
D3: Beautiful day that via the Eveque and that of Ottema Passes offers the ascent of Pigne d'Arolla and a superb descent on the refuge of Chanrion!
D4: We leave Switzerland by the Durand window, and go down in the beautiful valley of Ollomont. When being at the Balme de Bal, we climb to look for the Savoie bivouac: it will be an authentic night in high mountains with the splendid view!
D5: After the start, a climb and the Valsorey Pass, we enjoy again a beautiful descent to the Plans, under the refuges of Valsorey and Vélan. Here we climb to the "secret" pass of Montorge which switches on the west side of the Petit Vélan and allows us to join the Hospice of Grand Saint Bernard for the night.
D6: A route that will be chosen at the last moment according to the conditions. By different possible passes, we will join the Val Ferret. From there we reach the Torino refuge using the Skyway cable car.
D7: end in apotheosis with the "Vallée Blanche" just for oneself, before the crowds! Separation at the Montenvers train station.
The price includes
- Supervision by the mountain guide, specialist of this route.
- Loan of transceiver, showel, probe.
- Logistic budget (to be paid separately) corresponding to the costs of the itinerary: half-boards in the refuges, picnics, skipasses in Zermatt and Helbronner, train from Chamonix to Zermatt, Montenvers train if needed. Total cost is around 800€.
The price does not include
- Transport to Chamonix.
- Drinks in the refuges.
- Anything not specified in "The price includes".
No scheduled departure, but you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking