Ski touring in the Mount Cook Park
from 3300 € / p. from 2 to 6 personsInfos & Booking
New Zealand, which means "island of the large white cloud" in Maori, is the ideal place for ski touring: the mountains are there, the slopes ideal for skiing... including the tranquility almost assured!
Destination rather far from Europe, New Zealand is a country that is unusual to visit! However, located in the southern hemisphere, New Zealand offers ski lovers some perfect snow... when it is not the right season in Europe. The mountains in which we will ski are located on the Southern Island, in the beautiful Mount Cook National Park. It is the highest peak in the country, perched at 3724 meters above sea level.
In order to enjoy as much as possible the time we have, access to the shelter will be by plane, a Pilatus Porter. From our refuge, we will hike every day with possibly a crossing on a second refuge. As at the beginning of the stay, to avoid an exhausting carry, the return to our starting point will also be made by plane.
- Meet at Auckland International Airport (on Northern Island).
- Transfer by domestic flight to Queenstown (on the Southern Island).
- Transfer by private van from Queenstown to Mount Cook Village, gateway to Mount Cook National Park.
- Night in lodge in Mount Cook village.
- Relax day devoted to recover from jet lag and buy food for the 9 days we will spend in the hut.
- With the rangers of the National Park we will choose the hut that will host us for nine days and nine nights. We will have three choices: Pioneer Hut, Tasman Hut and Murchison Hut.
- Night in lodge in Mount Cook Village.
- Pilatus Porter flight with our luggage to the chosen hut. A nice fly over the glaciers and our future playground.
- Installation in the hut and first hike around the hut.
- Night in the hut.
D4 to D11:
- Ski touring from the hut. It will be around 2300m above sea level. Very modest from a European point of view but beware: we are more than 43° of latitude, and the impression of being in high mountains is much more present! The glaciers go down to 1500m, so the life in hut is that of a high mountain.
- Thus, every day, we leave our base camp to go to explore the surrounding summits by practicing glacier skiing: it is imperative to be equipped with a harness and to have with you all the equipment for the rescue in crevasse and for orientation because the weather can change very quickly.
- Among the potential for skiing we have the Gray Peak since Pioneer Pass, Marcel Pass, Mount Haidinger... The important in New Zealand is to adapt to the mountain. More than elsewhere, it is the one that imposes our choices.
- The exceptional years, a fabulous descent is possible on the Fox Glacier which crosses the forest of the "Wet land", the west coast and which deposits us a few hundred meters above the ocean. It's amazing and it's to live once in a lifetime!
- Every day we return to our hut to dine and spend the night.
- The Pilatus Porter comes to pick us up at the hut and brings us back to Mount Cook Village, where we find with pleasure the lodge and the advantages of civilization: hot showers, bar, table service.
- Night in the lodge in Mount Cook Village.
- Transfer by private minibus to Queenstown.
- Domestic flight to Auckland.
- Flight back to France from Auckland airport.
The price includes
- Supervision by the mountain guide.
- Accommodation (full board) in a lodge in Mount Cook Village (3 nights).
- Accommodation in the hut (full board - free management, 9 nights).
- Return flight by Pilatus Porter from the hut.
- Transport on site.
The price does not include
- Flights to / from Auckand.
- Personal expenses.
- Anything not mentioned in "The price includes".
- Lodge in Mount Cook Village.
- Unguarded hut for the ski touring part.
No scheduled departure, but you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking