Trekking in the Bolivian Yungas jungle
from 616 € / p. from 1 to 10 personsInfos & Booking
Located in Bolivia at the foot of the Royal Cordillera mountains, the tropical jungle of the Yungas offers treks and hikes of all levels in a natural environment of lush vegetation, varied flora and fauna and waterfalls as well as a wide variety of climates and ecosystems.
The trip described here begins with a long downhill mountain bike ride and a day of discovery of the region. You will then walk into the jungle, walking from one camp to the other towards the snow-covered mountains.
If you want to continue your discovery of the country's trails, you can also follow me for:
- a trek in the Apolobamba Royal,
- a trek in the Royal Cordillera,
- or some canyoning and hiking in the Torotoro National Park.
D1: La Paz - Cumbre pass - Yolosa - Coroïco.
Accompanied by local mountain bike instructors, we descend effortlessly from the 4567 meters of the Cumbre pass to the 951 ones of Yolosita.
Night in Coroïco, capital of the province.
D2: Visit of the agricultural productions (coffee, bananas, coca leaves...) managed by the Afro-Bolivian communities of the region.
D3: Coroïco - Unduavi - Sandillani.
We leave the road at Unduavi (3438m), in the heart of the rainforest, to follow the old pre-Inca path of the Sillutink'ara, crossing several waterfalls until Sandillani (2070m).
7 hours of walking.
D4: Sandillani - San Francisco.
After visiting the house and garden of a Japanese hermit who used to live there, you leave for a 4 hours trek on the El Choro pre-Inca trail that we hike backwards (most hikers choose to go down to the jungle rather than up to the mountains). We cross the Rio Coscapa using of a suspended bridge.
D5: San Francisco - Ch'allapampa (2631m).
Still in the forest and crossing two rivers, we reach in the evening the tiny village of Ch'allapampa where we camp. The village is strategically located at the limit of two biotopes, here called "ecological floors". It is very convenient for agriculture... and tourism.
6 hours of walking.
D6: Ch'allapampa - Sanja Pampa (3822m).
Vegetation becomes less dense, the climate and the landscape becomes colder. We leave the main path and reach the village of Sanja Pampa where we taste an excellent mountain trout.
6 hours of walking.
D7: Sanja Pampa - Uma Palca - Botijllaca.
We walk along high altitude lakes and small glaciers up to a pass at 4730m. Then we go down to Botijllaca (3570m) where our vehicle is waiting for us. Possibility to return to La Paz... or to continue on the ascent of the Huayna Potosi.
The price includes
- Supervision by the English-speaking mountain guide (1 guide / 2 persons).
- Private transport La Paz - Peñas - Coroico, Coroïco - Unduavi and Botijllaca - La Paz.
- 2 nights in hotel in Coroïco.
- The cook and complete food (breakfast, lunch and dinner), with drinking water at will.
- Tents and foam mattresses.
- Carriers and mules for carrying the bags.
- Fees and other local charges.
- A small handcrafted souvenir.
- First aid kit, emergency oxygen, satellite phone...
|Number of participants||1||2 or 3||4 to 7||8 to 10|
|Price per person||1194€||853€||655€||616€|
The price does not include
- Return flight to La Paz.
- Hotel in La Paz (but I'll be happy to help you book it).
- Sleeping bag and other individual mountaineering equipment (can be rented in La Paz at reasonable prices).
- Anything not mentioned in "The price includes".
- Hotel in Coroïco.
- In tents during the trek.
No scheduled departure, but you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking