Echelles de la mort via ferrata (Charquemont, Doubs)
from 45 € / p. from 1 to 10 personsInfos & Booking
Located in one of the wildest parts of the Doubs valley, the via ferrata of the "Echelles de la Mort" (ladders of death) takes its name from the passages built on the side of the cliffs by the smugglers of the past who took advantage of the neighbouring Switzerland to smuggle goods.
With a length of 500 meters and a difference in level of 100 meters, this via ferrata is the most impressive, the longest and the most varied of the department, but it remains nevertheless accessible to most people.
A 5-minute approach walk leads to the start, which consists of a log ladder directly followed by a bridge. A traverse and a beam lead you to a vertical climb in a dihedral before moving on to a parrot ladder. Here the first escape route takes you back to the ladder lookout.
But you can continue with a traverse with a slightly overhanging passage that leads to the most vertiginous passage of the via. The next part, a large Tibetan bridge that leads to a ledge, will allow you to enjoy the view. We continue by a bridge then a more "easy" part, where is the second escape, before attacking a descent by a ladder, a monkey bridge and a big ascent using a ladder of coconut palm.
After a few meters of beam, we arrive at the magnificent 60 meter long zip line, not mandatory because there is an escape route, which announces the end of the via ferrata which is done by a beam and a climb in a pirate net.
The return journey takes the hiking trail and the famous ladders of death that lead us back to the parking lot.
- Meeting point at the parking of the ladders of death, about 15 minutes drive from Charquemont.
- 5 minute walk on a hiking trail to reach the start of the via.
- Equipment and 10 minutes briefing.
- About 2 hours to climb the via ferrata.
- 30 minutes walk back to the parking lot.
The price includes
- Supervision by the climbing instructor.
- Technical safety equipment (helmet, harness, via ferrata lanyards, pulley, etc.).
The price does not include
- Transport to and from the activity site.
- Appropriate shoes and clothing.
- Anything not mentioned in "The price includes".
No scheduled departure, but you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking