Baumes du Verneau via ferrata (Doubs)
Duration : ½ day
Level : for all
from 38 € / p. from 4 to 10 personsInfos & Booking
Go for the very beautiful via ferrata of Baumes du Verneau in the Doubs department!
In the north of the Jura massif, this route offers you a magnificent vertical ascent in the Lison valley, a remarkable site of preserved beauty. You may even have the chance to see chamois, vultures or ravens.
The itinerary overlooks the splendid village of Nans-sous-Sainte-Anne and offers different sections classified from very easy to very difficult. Here, there is something for everyone and the environment is exceptional! Nothing is mandatory, the optional variants, more or less difficult and vertiginous are offered to you. Thus, the most courageous and the most athletic will be able to take advantage of the last difficult loop under the amazed look of the less experienced who will enjoy the spectacle and the well deserved rest at the edge of the brook. Of course, I will adapt the course to the level of the group.
The blue route (slightly difficult) goes to the right to cross a large hole in the cliff, then cross the dihedral of the waterfall before a new crossing to the left towards the spur where the junction with the red route is made.
This one offers a steeper and more technical start, with a Nepalese bridge and a cable bridge and above all a 35 meters long zip line which will give you strong sensations. The via continues on the cliff of the "Grande Baume", offers two escapes just in case, then joins the blue course.
The common part which follows starts with an easy rocky spur, crosses the not very difficult chamois jump, crosses the small holes in the cliff to arrive on the ledge of the du "grand corbeau". While the blue itinerary avoids the difficulties of the high cliff by crossing to the right, the red one offers a slightly overhanging and athletic climb of about 40 meters that leads to the summit where it is time to enjoy the magnificent panorama. The rest of the route is again common on a path that goes down to the village, with a small rocky spur to negotiate.
The red route offers a last optional section, the "castle", with a climb in a 30 meters slab, a beam crossing, a passage in a dihedral and a technical and overhanging passage. There is even a black variant (extremely difficult) with several physical and impressive overhangs.
If you like nice via ferrata, why not also climb its neighboring "La Roche du Mont" in Ornans, or, a little further, the "Echelles de la Mort" in Charquemont.
- Meeting point in Nans-sous-Sainte-Anne, 50 minutes drive south of Besançon.
- 10 minutes of approach walking to reach the start of the via.
- After the usual explanations and an easy and low level introduction, we decide together on the choice of the route, blue or red.
- Between 2 and 3 hours of climbing to a magnificent viewpoint on the village and the valley.
- 20 minute of return walking back to the parking lot.
The price includes
- Supervision by the climbing instructor.
- Technical equipment necessary for the practice of the activity: harness, helmet, pulley, via ferrata lanyard with energy absorber.
The price does not include
- Transport to/from the meeting place in Nans-sous-Sainte-Anne.
- Shoes and adapted clothes.
- Drinks and food (bring a small bag with a bottle of water and some cereal bars).
- Anything not mentioned in "The price includes".
No scheduled departure, but you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking