"La Grotte à Carret" via ferrata (Bauges, Savoie)
Duration : ½ day
France, Northern Alps
Level : extremely difficult
from 65 € / p. from 2 to 8 personsInfos & Booking
Dare the adventure on one of the most difficult via ferrata in France!
Commonly called "Grotte à Carret" via ferrata (or Doria via ferrata), this route located in Saint-Jean-d'Arvey in the Bauges massif, in Savoie, is very quickly athletic and vertiginous (including the sublime Tibetan bridge). All along the route, on the cliffs of the Rocher de Charvettan, you will enjoy a breathtaking view on Chambéry and on the Mont Granier.
Fans of intense efforts in good physical condition and / or people who already have a little experience in via ferrata will love it!
A pleasant approach walk in the undergrowth of about an hour brings you to Carret's cave, start of the via where yoi can find the remains of the house of the eccentric archaeologist who lived there at the end of the XIXth century.
From the cave, the via ferrata goes on the left in a slightly overhanging climb before the first big overhang, very physical and vertiginous, and a nice crossing on large smooth slabs.
After a small cable bridge and a beam, the route arrives at the only rest area at the foot of the big crack. This is a good opportunity to relax before climbing this crack, crossing the second beam and engaging in the physical and overhanging section that leads you to the Tibetan bridge of Charvettan, 40 meters long and very veriginous. Its crossing will not leave you indifferent!
Then, you go on a traverse to the pendulum of the big roof and then face an overhanging passage during which you have to think about how to best use the holds by feet or hands. A last short overhang brings you to the belvedere of the Charvettan rock, the end of the via ferrata, from where you can enjoy an exceptional panorama.
If you are interested in other nice vertical routes in the region, I can accompany you in:
- the Rois Mages via ferrata in the Maurienne valley,
- the "Guinguette" via ferrata in Hostiaz in the Ain department,
- the vertiginous Roche Veyrand via ferrata in Chartreuse.
- Meet at the parking lot on the road that leads to the Doria pass through the village of Les Déserts, from Saint-Jean-d'Arvey.
- It takes about 20 minutes to drive from Chambéry.
- Departure either in the morning or in the afternoon.
- About 4 hours of supervised activity:
- One hour approach walk in the undergrowth to reach the start of the via ferrata.
- Approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes to climb the via.
- Return walk of 30 minutes to the parking lot.
The price includes
- Supervision by the rock climbing instructor.
- Equipment: harness, via ferrata lanyards with energy absorber, helmet.
- Group rate from 6 persons (from the same group): 65€/pax.
The price does not include
- Transport to and from Saint-Jean-d'Arvey.
- Anything not mentioned in "The price includes".
No scheduled departure, but you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking