Thônes via ferrata (Aravis, Haute-Savoie)
from 60 € / p. from 1 to 4 personsInfos & Booking
Why climbing this "Roche à l'Agathe" via ferrata located above Thônes, in Haute-Savoie, and in the heart of the Aravis massif?
- Access is fast: 15 minutes walk from the car park.
- It is a tonic and sporty via: rich of sensations, vertiginous, with Nepali bridge and ladder.
- There are 2 loopholes that allow you to go out if it really does not work!
- You will enjoy a view of the Bornes massif: Tournette, Lanfonnet, Belchamps.
- And a waffle bar and after-sport drinks!
In short: a via ferrata with 3 sections (Difficult -, then Difficult +, then Very Difficult) for 255 vertical meters.
The first part is the longest. After a cable bridge, it offers a series of crossings, slabs and ramps quite steep, even sometimes slightly overhanging, and always to the left. The atmosphere is already vertiginous and it is possible to take an escape route if you don't want to continue with the next part.
The second part is more physical, with several impressive walls, overhanging and vertiginous, until a ledge where you will have to choose your exit option.
The end of the route has two options (and a loophole):
- "L'échelle les sapeurs de l'Empire" (The ladder the sappers of the Empire, rated difficult) that you have to climb facing the void for maximum thrills and a panoramic view.
- "Le surplomb de l'Ermite" (The overhang of the Hermit), a very pronounced overhang, rated extremely difficult and which will strongly solicit your arms!
The end is easier, with fewer bars and therefore more contact with the well sculpted limestone rock. If you are not lucky enough to see some chamois, you can still enjoy the magnificent view of the surrounding mountains.
The way down is sometimes steep, and slippery. It is imperative to be well shod. This via ferrata is not recommended for young children, unless they are sporty!
For a question of organization, only the groups already constituted and of at least 4 people are accepted.
If this via ferrata makes you want to do others, I recommend, still in the Aravis massif, the Yves Pollet-Villard via ferrata above the Aravis pass or the Tour du Jallouvre via ferrata in Grand-Bornand, or, a little further, the Revaclier via ferrata on the Mont Salève.
- Meeting point in Thônes, 30 minutes drive from Annecy.
- 15 minutes walk to reach the start of the via.
- About 2 hours to climb the via ferrata.
- Return walk of 30 minutes to get back to the parking lot.
The price includes
- Supervision by the mountain guide.
- Equipment necessary to practice the activity: helmet, harness, via ferrata lanyards with energy absorber.
The price does not include
- Transport to and from Thônes.
- Anything not mentioned in "The price includes".
No scheduled departure, but you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking