Croix de Toulouse via ferrata in Briançon
from 50 € / p. from 3 to 8 personsInfos & Booking
Located in the heart of the Hautes-Alpes, the via ferrata of the Croix de Toulouse overlooks Briançon, the highest city in France. It offers a beautiful view on the Vauban fortifications of the old city as well as on the valleys of the Haute Durance and the Guisane, from Montgenèvre to Monetier. The vegetation smells like Provence, and only the high peaks that surround you remind you that you are in the Alps, at nearly 2000 meters of altitude.
Even if it is quite long, this urban via ferrata is perfect for an initiation, for example with family or friends. It follows more or less directly the cliff that dominates the Champ de Mars then continues by a spur in the middle of the pines. Located on a cliff facing south and therefore practicable most of the year, the Croix de Toulouse's via offers a lot of contact with the rock, making the progression very interesting. It's a great classic that you'll definitely appreciate, before you start climbing more "mountain" via which are not lacking in the region!
After an approach walk between woods and scree, the route follows a succession of small walls and ledges on the edge of a ridge that borders a canyon.
A few walls lead to a deep rift, which is crossed by the "Passerelle du Président". Then we follow the cable along the ridge, with always some short vertical passages, from where the view on the city is impressive. The last part is interspersed with portions of walking on the path, before finishing with a traverse to the right and a final vertical wall to end at the viewpoint of the Croix de Toulouse.
The return walk on a forest track is the occasion to discover the Fort des Salettes before coming back to the car park.
If you want to discover other beautiful via ferrata in the region, I can accompany you on the nearby via ferrata of Les Vigneaux, via ferrata of the gorges of Ailefroide in Pelvoux or via ferrata of Freissinières.
- Meeting point in Briançon, to reach the via ferrata car park.
- We will put our gear on then walk for about 30 minutes to the start of the cliff.
- Between 2 and 3 hours on the via ferrata to reach the summit of the Croix de Toulouse.
- Return by a beautiful forest path in about 45 minutes.
The price includes
- Supervision by the mountain guide.
- Loan of equipment (harness, helmet and via ferrata lanyard with energy absorber).
The price does not include
- Transport to the car park of the via ferrata.
- Anything not mentioned in "The price includes".
- Possibility of accomodation at ** hôtel Les 5 Saisons in Freissinières.
No scheduled departure, but you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking