Freissinières via ferrata in the Écrins (Hautes-Alpes)
Duration : ½ day
France, Southern Alps
Level : from beginner to intermediate
from 45 € / p. from 3 to 8 personsInfos & Booking
Located in the Écrins massif, the via ferrata of the "Grande Falaise" (big cliff) offers you a magnificent panorama on the very beautiful and authentic valley of Freissinières. It is here, in the heart of the Hautes-Alpes department, that this historical via ferrata was the first one built in France in 1988! Many other routes have been created in the country since then, but this one is still very interesting.
The via ferrata of the "Grande Falaise" is located on a magnificent cliff of colored limestone exposed to the south. It is therefore possible to climb there most of the year. Vertiginous and superb, the itinerary follows a succession of ledges and traverses above the void, making the best use of the weaknesses of the wall.
The technical difficulty is progressive all along the route, which has two parts:
- With a lot of ascending traverses and some small walls, the first section is relatively easy and not very challenging. An escape route is possible, if needed, for those who do not want to continue on the second part.
- Then the itinerary becomes more vertiginous and athletic, with still some crossings and a slightly overhanging and original descent, before the final wall without great difficulty. This second section will delight the most athletic!
You will find few bars and no workshops: the contacts with the rock with its multiple colors are privileged, giving this via ferrata a more natural and original character.
If you want to discover other beautiful via ferrata in the region, I can accompany you on the nearby via ferrata of Les Vigneaux or via ferrata of the gorges of Ailefroide in Pelvoux, or on the via ferrata of the Croix de Toulouse which overlooks Briançon.
- Meeting point at the ** hotel "Les 5 Saisons" in Freissinières (time to be defined together).
It takes about 30 minutes to drive from Briançon and 1 hour from Gap.
- About 20 to 30 minutes walk to the start of the via ferrata.
- Approximately 1.5 hour to 2 hours to climb the first part of the via ferrata and 1.5 hour more for the second part.
- Return to the car park by a very beautiful balcony path which offers again magnificent views on the valley of Freissinières.
The price includes
- Supervision by the mountain guide.
- Loan of technical equipment necessary for the practice of the activity (harness, helmet, via ferrata lanyard with energy absorber).
The price does not include
- Transport to the car park of the via ferrata in Freissinières.
- Anything not mentioned in "The price includes".
- Possibility of accomodation in ** hôtel "Les 5 Saisons" in Freissinières.
No scheduled departure, but you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking