Prehistoric hike: cave and rock engravings (Die)
Duration : ½ day
France, Southern Alps
Level : easy (2h30 walk, 250m elevation)
from 15 € / p. from 2 to 16 personsInfos & Booking
Ideally located in the south of the Vercors massif, the Haut Diois massif contains secrets that are often unknown.
I invite you here to a very surprising hike on the theme of prehistory to make you know the Tune de la Varaime. This cave, now classified as a historical monument and that I discovered in 1985, contains more than 2000 Neolithic rock engravings classified as belonging to linear schematic art.
This place was also used in prehistoric times as a sheepfold cave as the excavations that you can also contemplate testify.
And if you want to discover the south of the Vercors massif even better and if the theme of prehistory interests you, I advise you this hiking trip on the steps of the first transhumants.
- Meeting in the village of Boulc, 30 minutes drive from Die and 1.5 hour from Grenoble.
- Duration of the outing: 5 hours including the guided tour of the cave and access by a very wild path to the breathtaking panoramas of the Vercors between 1200 and 1450 meters of altitude.
- As an option, a day outing is possible, completed by a climb to the top of the mountain of Toussière and to high mountain pastures, for a total of 800 meters of positive difference in altitude
- Regular outings from April to November on request.
The price includes
- Supervision by the mountain leader.
- Guided visit of the cave.
The price does not include
- Transport to and from Boulc.
- Warm clothes for the visit to the cave.
- A lamp and some food (biscuits, energy bar or dried fruit and water).
- Price with the day hike option: 40€ / person.
- Anything not mentioned in "The price includes".
No scheduled departure, but you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking