Hiking in the Mafate cirque
from 50 € / p. from 1 to 12 personsInfos & Booking
Every Tuesday and Saturday, I propose you to go hiking in the heart of the jagged relief of the magnificent Mafate's cirque, in order to soak up the historical magic of these places.
Mafate is one of the three big natural cirques of the Reunion Island, as well as Salazie and Cilaos. Surrounded by a particularly steep relief, Mafate is difficult to reach. Thus, no road serves the interior of the cirque that can be visited only on foot, which makes it a world apart. Here there is no hotel, no infrastructure, and the largest village ("La Nouvelle") has only a school and a few shops. All this makes it a world apart, far from the agitation of the world, where nature is king and offers exceptional landscapes, made of ravines, waterfalls, forests, peaks, etc. A dense network of trails allows life in the cirque and makes it a Mecca for hiking in Reunion.
This route in the mountains of Reunion Island lasts about 6 hours for a distance of 12 kilometers and a positive and negative difference in altitude of 550 meters.
If I am not available, a colleague from the Bureau Montagne Réunion will be in charge of the supervision.
If you want to continue to discover Reunion Island during beautiful day hikes, follow me in the Belouve forest and Trou de Fer, in the cirque of Cilaos or at the Piton de la Fournaise volcano (also in off-trail version).
- Departure every Tuesday and Thursday.
- Guaranteed departure from the first registered.
- After 30 minutes of 4WD vehicle track in the bed of the Rivière des Galets, the trail begins with a succession of fords and then quickly rises to reach the Cayenne islet.
- Return via the footbridge which offers a 360 degree panorama overlooking waterfalls and pools.
- Be careful, this hike often requires participants to walk in the water! (water height under the knees)
- This route has a few fords and has a quite important difference in altitude for children. The minimum age recommended is 8 years.
- NOTE: in case of closure of the 4WD track, I will propose an alternative hike around Mafate.
The price includes
- Supervision by the mountain leader.
- A snack with local drinks.
The price does not include
- Transport to and from the meeting point (we endeavour to carpool when possible).
- Picnic lunch.
- The price of the 4WD taxi: 14€ per person.
- Anything not mentioned in "The price includes".
No scheduled departure, but you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking