Off-trail hiking at the Piton de la Fournaise
from 50 € / p. from 1 to 12 personsInfos & Booking
I propose you an exclusive experience, only possible with a mountain professional. During this hike, you will discover the active volcano of Reunion Island as you have never seen it before!
Culminating at 2631 meters of altitude, the Piton de la Fournaise is the star of the intense island: with its eruptions every 9 months on average during the last ten years, it is one of the most active volcanoes in the world! About 500,000 years old, it is an incredible natural reserve, whose biodiversity is studied and protected. It is all this that I invite you to discover during this extraordinary hike.
This hike in the mountains of the intense island to discover the volcano of the Piton de la Fournaise lasts about 7 hours for a distance of 10 kilometers and a positive and negative difference in altitude of 500 meters.
If I am not available, a colleague from the Bureau Montagne Réunion will be in charge of the supervision.
If you want to continue to discover Reunion Island during beautiful day hikes, follow me in the Belouve forest and Trou de Fer, in the cirque of Cilaos, in the cirque of Mafate or on this Piton de la Fournaise, but in on-trail version.
- Departure every Friday.
- Guaranteed departure from the first registered.
- Inside the "enclos Fouqué", we will walk through the lava flows to discover the hidden wonders of this exceptional site.
- In case of eruption in the enclosure, it is closed by prefectural decree. I will then propose you a route off the beaten track in the plain of Sables to see the current eruption or to discover the past eruptions and the history of the volcano.
- Warning: this technical hike requires a good physical condition. We will evolve on chaotic grounds, requiring a good endurance and a good balance.
- We provide you with gloves and poles, which are mandatory for this very abrasive terrain.
- Children: we will be hiking at an altitude of over 2000 meters, so it can be very cold at the volcano and the weather conditions can change very quickly (rain, fog, wind...). Young hikers, as well as adults, must be prepared for a demanding hike. For all these reasons, the minimum age to participate is 12 years old.
The price includes
- Supervision by the mountain leader.
- Loan of hiking poles and gloves.
- A snack with a local drink.
The price does not include
- Transport to and from the meeting point (we endeavour to carpool when it is possible).
- Picnic lunch.
- Anything not mentioned in "The price includes".
No scheduled departure, but you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking