Hiking to the Piton de la Fournaise volcano
from 50 € / p. from 1 to 12 personsInfos & Booking
Every Wednesday and Sunday, I propose to share the geological history of Reunion Island in the mineral universe of one of the most active volcanoes in the world.
This hike in the mountains of the island to discover the Piton de la Fournaise volcano lasts about 6 hours for a distance of 9 kilometers and a positive and negative altitude difference of 500 meters.
If I am not available, a colleague from the Bureau Montagne Réunion will be in charge of the supervision.
- Departure every Wednesday and Sunday.
- Guaranteed departure from the first registered.
- The hike begins with a descent into the "enclosure", then we walk through the lava flows to reach the base of the main cone and start the ascent to the summit crater.
- In the event of an eruption in the enclosure, it is closed by prefectural decree. I will then suggest a route off the beaten track in the Plaine des Sables to catch a glimpse of the eruption in progress or to discover the past eruptions and the history of the volcano.
- You will be at an altitude of more than 2000 meters, so it can be very cold and the weather conditions can change very quickly (rain, fog, wind...). Finally, the terrain is not very uneven, but very rocky, and very sharp in case of a fall. For all these reasons, the minimum age recommended to participate is 12 years old.
The price includes
- Supervision by the mountain leader.
- A snack with a local drink.
The price does not include
- Picnic lunch.
- Transport (we endeavour to carpool when it is possible).
- Anything not mentioned in "The price includes".
No scheduled departure, but you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking