Mountaineering in Bolivia: ascent of Nevado Illimani (6438m)
from 555 € / p. from 1 to 10 personsInfos & Booking
Clearly visible from La Paz and an object of adoration since ancient times, Nevado Illimani is probably the most beautiful summit of the Real Cordillera. In the local Aymara language, its name means "golden eagle". It was first climbed in the 19th century by a Franco-Bolivian expedition that found llama leather straps on the summit of the peak now known as Layqa Qullu. Indeed for many pre-Colombian civilizations the high peaks of the Andes were places of worship and offerings.
Shortly before the Second World War, German emigrants living in Bolivia planted a gigantic Nazi flag on the highest point of the mountain. It was shot down a few weeks later by an English mining engineer accompanied by his local mechanic, who used spikes for the first time.
The route proposed here is the normal route to the South summit, which takes place in a sumptuous high mountain setting.
D1: La Paz - Cañon de Palca.
In order to perfect your acclimatization, you make this quiet hike among cultivated fields and impressive vertical sand formations.
3 hours of downhill walking, night in the village of Palca.
D2: Palca - Pinaya - Puente Roto.
From the village of Pinaya (3841m) it is through vast meadows that you reach our base camp at Puente Roto (4475m).
D3: Puente Roto - Nido de Condores.
Today you have to climb up moraines and a long easy rocky ridge to reach the camp at Nido de Condores (5460m), suspended above the glaciers.
5 hours of walking.
D4: Ascent of Nevado Illimani.
Starting in the night, we climb different relatively technical passages to the pass, in a majestic glacier environment, and then to the summit of the South Peak.
7 hours of ascent, passages up to 50 degrees.
After the well deserved pictures, descent to the high camp and then to the base camp.
D5: Descent to Pinaya and return to La Paz by vehicle.
The price includes
- Private transport.
- Supervision by the English-speaking mountain guide (1 guide / 2 persons).
- The cook and complete food (breakfast, lunch and dinner), with drinking water at will.
- Tents and foam mattresses.
- Carriers and mules for carrying the bags.
- Collective equipment: rope, ice screws, crevasse rescue kit.
- Fees and other local charges.
- A small handcrafted souvenir.
- First aid kit, emergency oxygen, satellite phone...
|Number of participants||1||2 or 3||4 to 7||8 to 10|
|Price per person||1225€||725€||590€||555€|
The price does not include
- Return flight to La Paz.
- Hotel in La Paz (but I'll be happy to help you book it).
- Sleeping bag and other individual mountaineering equipment (can be rented in La Paz at reasonable prices).
- Anything not mentioned in "The price includes".
- In tent or in basic accommodation in the villages.
No scheduled departure, but you can contact me to book your dates.Infos & Booking